Friday, November 25, 2005

20-20

The Costa Rican 20 colones piece is the largest coin I've seen. Comparable in size to the US Silver Dollar, it's worth about 4 cents. That's way too much mass for the value. It is, however, a good "flipping" coin. Heads or tails?

I played my first Costa Rican futbol game last night. It was among coworkers, six-on-six. They didn't let me wear my glasses "for my own saftey". I began the game as the goalie for our team. We played on a cool little indoor field. As short as it was I could not see the ball on the other side. I wasn't able to tell that we scored the first goal until after my teamates had been jumping and cheering for a moment. They assured me that at least half the people out there had the same problem I did. Nonetheless, I don't think I'll play again until I get some contact lenses. It would help to be able to make eye contact since I don't speak the language, and the fury of the game blocks their English comprehension.

2 comments:

Jason said...

I'm sure know one cares, but they have a 20 and a (reasonably sized) 25 Colones coin. Is that necessary? Coinage overkill.

Anonymous said...

Cool photo. I noticed your team had one more. Did you need an extra?

Mom